2021 Cargo Connect Season Grants
FIRST Australia is pleased to announce funding for new FIRST LEGO League Challenge teams through the generosity of The Walt Disney Company Australia. For those who are new or unfamiliar with FIRST LEGO League Challenge, please review the program information below BEFORE applying:
“Friendly competition is at the heart of Challenge, as teams of students ages 9-16 engage in research, problem-solving, coding and engineering – building and programming a LEGO robot that navigates the missions of a robot game. As part of Challenge, teams also participate in a research project to identify and solve a relevant real-world problem.”
To be eligible for FIRST LEGO League Challenge (Australia) team grants, all grant applicants must meet the following criteria:
1. Rookie Team: School/Organisation has NEVER participated in FIRST LEGO League Challenge & has not received a previous FIRST Australia grant for Challenge.
2. Students must be in years 3-10, ages 9 – 16
3. Team Size maximum of 10 students; minimum of 2 students
4. Represent a low SES, rural, remote, indigenous school/community or other under represented group
5. Commit to participate in a qualifying regional event (November 2021)
6. Commit to signing a consent form for FIRST®
7. Commit to submitting (per student & coach) MQU Media Release & FIRST Consent forms
8. Commit to participating for a second season non-grant funded (at the school/individual/organisation’s expense)
*Failure to participate in one regional qualifying event will result in the receipt of an invoice for the full amount of registration to your school or organisation.
Challenge Season: 2021 Cargo Connect Grant – Important Information
- Each team must have or source separately either a LEGO Education SPIKE Prime or EV3 kit (to function as the “robot”) to participate in the season – one per team.
- Each grant with successful registration via the FIRST Australia Dashboard (https://firstaustralia.org/register-a-team/) will include one (1) Cargo Connect Challenge kit (game) from FIRST Australia which will be shipped in late August to each successful school or organisation via TNT from Macquarie University.
- If you are are awarded a grant, you will receive a confirmation via email with instructions for completing registration via the FIRST Australia Dashboard.
- Please review the list of qualifying event locations and dates for 2021 here: https://firstaustralia.org/events/
- Each grant will include the option of one or two teams, sharing one Challenge kit for the Cargo Connect season.
What does this grant cover?
Season registration for 2021 Cargo Connect FIRST LEGO League Challenge (supports the provision of 1 (one) Cargo Connect Challenge kit per grant and up to 2 (two) competition teams) plus 1 (one) SPIKE Prime with expansion kit from LEGO Education.
If I am awarded a grant, are one or both teams required to compete in November?
Yes, all teams MUST compete in one regional qualifying event in November 2021. If you apply for two teams, both teams must participate in November. You cannot cancel team participation under the grant terms. If you cannot guarantee that both teams will compete, you should only apply for one team.
What happens if we don’t participate as scheduled?
Your school or organisation will be invoiced the full cost of registration ($500 for one team, $600 for two teams plus GST and the cost of kit shipment).
If awarded a grant, what is the next step?
All grant teams are required to register in the FIRST Australia Dashboard, details available here: https://firstaustralia.org/register-a-team/
Our school/organisation has applied and received grants for FIRST LEGO League Challenge previously. Am we eligible to apply again?
Ready to apply? Understand and agree to the grant terms? Click the link below to access the Google form (if your school blocks access to Google, you will need to complete this form on another device or network):