For Schools: Junior FLL Curriculum Mapping Document "Transforming Teaching" Click Here to Download PDF
Coaches & Parents: Want to stay up to date on all things Junior FLL? Add yourself to our email list by clicking HERE!
Ordering Previous Season Kits?
*Includes FLL & FLL Junior Kits
Order Inspire Kit
- Cost: $20 per kit + Shipping
- Link to Order the 2018-19 Mission Moon Expo Kit *LIVE & ACCEPTING ORDERS
- Mission Moon challenge documents released online August 1 2018.
- Materials for the Mission Moon Challenge: CLICK HERE
Register for a 2019 Expo
- Quaycentre at Sydney Olympic Park
FRC South Pacific Regional
Monday, 11 March 2019
- Macquarie University
FLL Asia Pacific Invitational Open Championship
6 July 2019
*There is no additional cost to attend an expo.
Important: FIRST Australia recommends - for schools with more than 5 teams - holding a small expo for your students, parents, teachers & community and then choose up to 5 teams to attend an external expo from the registration list above. This is because space may be limited at each expo and we hope to have representative teams from all schools who wish to participate - but hosting 10 teams from one school might not be feasible at each expo. Please exercise "Gracious Professionalism" when registering for expos. Thanks so much!
*Clicking link above takes you to the external FLL Junior International Site
For ALL FIRST Australia events, each participant including students and coaches must download, complete & submit on tournament day:
In addition to the FIRST Consent form, all NSW FIRST Events participants including students and coaches must download, complete & submit on tournament day:
In Australia, there are two LEGO® Education retailers for LEGO® WeDo Kits:
Focused on building an interest in science and engineering in children ages 6-9, FIRST® LEGO® League Junior is a hands-on program designed to capture young children's curiosity and direct it toward discovering how science and technology impact the world around them. This program features a real-world challenge, to be explored through research, critical thinking and imagination. Guided by adult coaches and the Core Values, team members work with LEGO® elements (LEGO WeDo Kit) and motorized parts to build ideas and concepts and present them for review.
Each yearly Challenge is based on a different theme and has two main parts, the LEGO® Model and the Show Me Poster.
Teams consist of two to six children and are guided by at least one adult coach. During the season they will:
- Conduct research about the current Challenge theme.
- Build a LEGO® Model based on the Challenge instructions that contains both a simple machine and a motorized part.
- Display their findings on a Show Me poster.
For complete details on starting a team, CLICK HERE. For the basics, here's the outline of what you need to get one team started:
- 2 - 6 Kids age 6 - 9 * school, home or community based
- QTY 1 LEGO Education WeDo 2.0 Core Set *to be purchased from LEGO Education Authorised Retailer
- QTY 1 Junior Inspire Kit from FIRST Australia *see sidebar to order current or past kits
- Engineering Notebook & Team Meeting Guide *these downloads are available by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Register for an Expo or Host one at your school *see sidebar for more information & registration links
The culmination of the hard work for many teams is the participation in an expo event (please refer to event schedule in the left side bar on this page). Volunteer Reviewers at the event interview the teams to learn about their LEGO® Model and Show Me poster. All the teams are celebrated and leave with an award. While participation in an event is not a requirement, we encourage teams to attend one. Teams can also show off their work on the FIRST LEGO League Junior Online Showcase.
2018 -19 Challenge: MISSION MOON!
Frequently Asked Questions
- How many teams can you have? Schools & organisations may establish an unlimited number of teams (each team must have their own LEGO WeDo set & an Inspire Kit) - but registrations for individual expos may have a capped limit of teams. Schools or organisations with several teams are encouraged to hold their own expo. See details sidebar or contact email@example.com for more info.
- FLL Junior Inspire Kit: Each team must purchase an Inspire Kit (currently $20 per team per kit plus shipping). There is a new season & new Inspire Kit released each year in August. There will be a price increase for the kit in 2019 to $50. This is still 1/2 the cost teams must pay in the US to participate ($100 per team). These kits are made from LEGO & have instructions for building missions; & generally have non-electronic moving parts.
- FIRST Sponsored Expos: Once the team has the seasonal Inspire Kit, they may participate in unlimited expos for that particular season. Each August, the team must purchase the new Inspire Kit.
- School Expos: Schools are encouraged to host an expo for their teams if there are no official expos being held close by. Schools are also welcome to host a school expo & also participate in an official expo, if available. Please download this Expo Guide to hosting an FLL Junior Expo!
- WeDo 2.0 Core Set (robotic/coding componet): Teams will only need to make this purchase once & will continue to use the set each year. Teams can also use the original WeDo kit from LEGO Education. The main difference in the current kit and original is that the original was "tethered to PC" in order to work; the WeDo 2.0 is untethered & blue-tooth enabled to work with both PC & iPad, allowing freedom of movement in the electronics.