FIRST LEGO League
Asia Pacific Open Championship
Event Information for Teams
Update 23 March 2020:
FIRST LEGO League Asia Pacific Open Championship on 3-5 July in Sydney will be temporarily suspended due to the COVID-19 virus.
Macquarie University is monitoring the advice issued by the Australian government, and will keep you up to date once a decision regarding this event has been made. We are also monitoring any future announcements from FIRST and LEGO Education regarding the season.
We know that teams have worked hard this season, and we regret having to put the event on hold for now. If the situation improves, the event will proceed. However, please do not make any travel arrangements that are not 100% refundable in case we need to cancel the event.
Thank you for your patience as we work through this and as always, please don’t hesitate to get in touch if we can be of further assistance.
Luan Heimlich, Director
3, 4, 5 July 2020 (Friday, Saturday, Sunday)
Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia
Event Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Each FIRST LEGO League partner (from 2020 invited regions) will receive a Google form link for pre-registration to be forwarded to qualified/invited teams. If your team has not received this link, please reach out to your respective partner. Following pre-registration, the coach/mentor will receive the official CVENT registration link from the MQU Events team- which must be submitted with full payment via credit card to finalise registration. Deadline for final registration and full payment: 31 May 2020.
*One FIRST consent & one MQU consent per paid attendee are to be submitted as completed/signed paper copies during team registration.
*Paid parking only available. Please abide by all parking rules & restrictions per MQU policy. Failure to do so will result in infringements & fines.
Lanyards: All registered, paid participants will receive a lanyard for APOC – which must be worn each day. Each coach will be required to count the lanyards & sign for them during the registration process on Friday, 3 July. Lost lanyards will not be replaced. Lanyards are REQUIRED for participation in all extracurricular event activities outside of the competition and for entrance into the theatre for Friendship Night as well as opening & closing ceremonies.
Friendship Night Performance Registration
Friday, 3 July 2020
*One Per Registered Team
Entry to Friendship Night is by LANYARD only. All paid participants & volunteers will have lanyards. Those who do not have lanyards may watch the livestream broadcast from the nearby theatre on campus.
Daily Schedules & Info
- Overall Event Schedule *Coming Soon
- Questions about FLL in Australia & Judging Procedures? CLICK HERE to Access Help Desk
- All Paid participants will receive a lanyard at check in; lanyard is to be worn at all times, allowing access to venues & special evening events.
- Registration will begin on Friday, 3 July at 8 am. Teams should plan to arrive in Sydney the night before. Closing Awards Ceremony should finish by mid-day on Sunday, 5 July. Teams should not plan to depart for the airport before 1 pm.
All Paid Participants will receive tickets for the 4 provided meals outlined during event registration. Tickets will be issued to coaches during registration on Friday, 3 July 2020. Coaches will be required to count tickets and sign for them before leaving the registration room. Tickets are non-replaceable or refundable if lost.
Each participant will submit one ticket to the vendor, per meal. These tickets will be labeled with the day, time and meal for ease of use and identification. The exception is Friday lunch tickets, where each paid participant will receive 2 vouchers each: one $10 voucher & one $5 voucher to use at any MQU food outlet on campus.
- Friday Lunch: Tickets for the MQU Campus Hub (Variety of Outlets to choose from).
- Friday Dinner: Food Trucks
- Saturday Lunch: Food Trucks
- Saturday Dinner: Food Trucks
Night of Australia!
4 – 9 pm
Saturday, 4 July
*Must have a lanyard for entry into all of the following. Not open to the public. All paid participants will have a lanyard.
- 4 pm – 6 pm: Food Trucks
- 6 pm – 9 pm:
> Australian Animals LIVE! on-site talk with Photo Opportunities (Including the cuddly KOALA & other awesome Aussie critters!)
> Boomarang Painting, led by Sydney-based Koomurri Aboriginal Cultural Team
> DJ, Dance and FlipBook Photobooth!
- Accommodation: There are plenty of options within walking distance of Macquarie University. Please visit this link for more information: CLICK HERE.
- Transportation: Public Transport bus stops are located on the Macquarie Campus as well as the Macquarie Train Station. For information regarding Sydney Public Transport, CLICK HERE.
- Judging: Judging sessions are 10 minutes in length – from the time the team walks in the room, until they exit.
- Robot Design: There is no challenge kit/table in the Robot Design session.
- Practice Tables: Provided for use by teams near the pits. Teams may not bring nor setup personal challenge kits at the venue. Only the practice tables provided by FIRST Australia may be utilised by teams at the APOC 2020.
- Pit Size: 2 meters by 2 meters. There are no walls provided. Teams must remain inside the taped area (marked on the floor of the pits.)
- Parking: Is paid only at Macquarie University, which is quite standard across Sydney. There is limited free street parking along Tallavera Road – must arrive early to secure a space. For more information about paid parking at MQU, click here.
- Livestream: https://firstaustralia.org/livestream/