- For Schools: Explore (formerly Junior) Curriculum Mapping Document "Transforming Teaching" Click Here to Download PDF
- Coaches & Parents: Want to stay up to date on all things FIRST LEGO League Explore? Add yourself to our email list by clicking HERE!
- Hosting an Expo at your school or venue? Please register your event by clicking HERE!
Ordering Previous Season EXPLORE Sets
(includes Boomtown Build)
- Invoice Orders CLICK HERE:
*Google form that includes FIRST LEGO League kits for Challenge & Explore
- Credit Card Order Link - Boomtown Build ONLY
$50 + GST + Shipping*NT, TAS & WA orders not eligible - see below.*Online Credit Card orders available only for NSW, QLD, ACT, SA, & VIC at this time.*Invoice orders are available for all orders, from all states & territory. Currently WA, TAS & NT orders must choose"invoice" option due to TNT shipment pricing.
2020-21 Explore Registration: Australia
Complete steps one and two below by accessing the FIRST Australia Team Registration System: CLICK HERE
- STEP ONE:
Establish account, create teams and purchase Explore Set(s)
Cost: $75 per Explore Set + Shipping + GST
*Credit card payment required during registration; exceptions are WA & NT as invoices must be issued for residents of these states due to non-standardized shipping costs.
*The order of an Explore set does not guarantee that an expo will be available in your area. If there is no organized expo, your team can still show off their work at a gathering of parents, a Parent-Teacher Night, or even at the local library. There is a limit of 10 Explore sets per school, organisation or individual for 2020.
- STEP TWO:
Register for a 2020 Expo
*New expos will be added on a rolling basis.
*Each school or organisation may register a MAXIMUM of 5 teams per expo.
*Schools or organisations with more than 5 teams should host an expo at their school/venue & choose up to 5 teams to attend an outside expo.
- 2020 PLAYMAKERS Explore sets are scheduled to ship around 1 August 2020, after the bulk sea shipment from Denmark arrives in Sydney.
- Online Credit Card orders will be available for NSW, QLD, ACT, SA, & VIC
- Invoice orders will be available for everyone. WA, TAS & NT orders must be via "invoice" option due to TNT shipment pricing.
- Boomtown Build challenge documents will release online August 1 2019.
- Materials for the 2019 Boomtown Build season are online here: CLICK HERE
*links to external FIRST site
- Expos are non-competitive. There is not a "game" as such and children do not compete for specific awards.
- A typical event lasts approximately two to four hours.
- Volunteer Reviewers visit with each team, check out teams' Models, and ask questions. This process is not meant to overwhelm the children - teams are reminded that the reviewers are looking forward to learning from them!
- In most areas, there is a volunteer FIRST LEGO League Explore partner who organizes expos. You can see if there is a partner in your area hosting an expo in this space when the list is announced mid-June 2020.
Important: FIRST Australia recommends - for schools with more than 5 teams - holding an expo for your students, parents, teachers & community and then choose up to 2 teams to attend an external expo from the registration list above. This is because space may be limited at each expo and we hope to have representative teams from all schools who wish to participate - but hosting 10 teams from one school might not be feasible at each expo. Please exercise "Gracious Professionalism" when registering for expos. Thanks so much!
For ALL FIRST Australia events, each participant including students and coaches must download, complete & submit on tournament day:
In addition to the FIRST Consent form, all NSW FIRST Events participants including students and coaches must download, complete & submit on tournament day:
In Australia, there are two LEGO® Education retailers for LEGO® WeDo Kits:
It’s never too early to discover STEM. FIRST LEGO League Explore (formerly Junior) is designed to introduce STEM concepts to kids ages 6 to 10 while exciting them through a brand they know and love − LEGO®.
Guided by adult coaches and FIRST® Core Values, students build models using LEGO® Education WeDo 2.0 and create Show Me posters to present what they learned. The program focuses on building interest in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) through a real-world challenge – to be solved by research, critical thinking, and imagination.
* An alliance between FIRST and the LEGO Group
What does every FIRST LEGO League Explore team need?
- 2 or more adult coaches willing and motivated to guide the team through the discovery and exhibition season (and beyond) – no special technical experience is required
- Up to 6 students, ages 6 to 10 willing to put in time (usually one or two days per week)
- A suitable meeting place, either public or private, that can accommodate the group & has internet access
- A LEGO® Education WeDo 2.0 to build & program
- A community sponsor(s) that will help fund your efforts and provide other support
- The desire to learn, explore, strategize, build camaraderie, share ideas and talents, make new friends, be accepted, & HAVE FUN!
When does FIRST LEGO League Explore happen?
Registration opens in June in Australia, and information about the FIRST LEGO League Explore season challenge is released in early August. The discovery and project season runs from August through June of the following year, and Expo season runs October through June. Expos allow teams the chance to show off what they have learned. Some teams will receive invitations to the FIRST LEGO League Explore World Festival Expos at the end of April.
What is the time commitment?
As a coach or adult volunteer, you should be meeting with your team at least once per week during the discovery and creation season (12 sessions). You and your family can decide together how much time you can devote to the program.
As a team member, the same applies. Be prepared to meet once per for about 12 weeks. Like any sport or other after-school activity, the more time you invest in helping your team will add to your team’s success.
Any special skills required?
The really cool thing about FIRST LEGO League Explore is . . . all skill levels are welcomed and needed, technical or non-technical. Teams need all kinds of skills and creativity to succeed, so what are you good at? Chances are we have a job for you. And we’ll probably teach you a few new ones while you’re with us.
The most successful team coaches are people with at least an interest in science and technology, and in helping kids discover and learn. But we can’t emphasize enough that no special technical skills are required. Anyone who wants to be a coach will receive all the training and help he or she needs.
Student team members are encouraged to bring any skills or interests they already have, but most importantly a desire to learn and solve problems as a team. FIRST LEGO League Explore welcomes every student, with or without special skills. Like our coaches say, “This is the only sport where if you show up, you can play.”
Let's Recap & Get Started!
For the basics, here's the outline of what you need to get one team started in Australia:
- 2 - 6 Kids, Ages 6 - 10 *school, home or community based
- QTY 1 LEGO Education WeDo 2.0 Core Set *to be purchased from LEGO Education authorised retailer
- QTY 1 Explore set from FIRST Australia *see sidebar
- Engineering Notebook & Team Meeting Guide PDFs are available by emailing email@example.com
- Register for an Expo or Host one at your school *see sidebar for more information & registration links
Frequently Asked Questions
- How many teams can you have? Schools & organisations may establish an unlimited number of teams (each team must have their own LEGO WeDo set & an Explore Set); registrations for individual expos may have a capped limit of teams. Schools or organisations with several teams are encouraged to hold their own expo. See details sidebar or contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
- FIRST LEGO League Explore Set: Each team must purchase an Explore set (2020 costs are $75 + GST per team per set plus shipping). There is a new season & new Explore set released each year in August. (Please do not be confused with the US registration site which is $100 USD per team.) These kits are made from LEGO parts & have instructions for building missions & generally have non-electronic moving parts. This is why teams use a WeDo set to interact electronically.
- FIRST Sponsored Expos: Once the team has the seasonal Explore set, they may participate in unlimited expos for that particular season. Each August, the team must purchase the new Explore set.
- School Expos: Schools are encouraged to host an expo for their teams if there are no official expos being held close by. Schools are also welcome to host a school expo & also participate in an official expo, if available. Please download this Expo Guide to hosting a FIRST LEGO League Explore Expo!
- WeDo 2.0 Core Set (robotic/coding componet): Teams will only need to make this purchase once & will continue to use the set each year. Teams can also use the original WeDo kit from LEGO Education. The main difference in the current kit and original is that the original was "tethered to PC" in order to work; the WeDo 2.0 is untethered & bluetooth enabled to work with both PC & iPad, allowing freedom of movement in the electronics.