FIRST ® LEGO® League
A Hands-On Approach to STEM Learning
FIRST LEGO League guides youth through STEM learning and exploration at an early age. From Discover, to Explore and then to Challenge, students will understand the basics of STEM and apply their skills in an exciting competition while gaining productive learning habits, confidence, and teamwork skills along the way.
Engaging Youth in STEM Exploration
FIRST LEGO League introduces science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) to children ages 4-16* through fun, exciting hands-on learning. FIRST LEGO League participants gain real-world problem-solving experiences through a guided, global robotics program, helping today’s students and teachers build a better future together.
In FIRST LEGO League, students engage in hands-on STEM experiences, building confidence, growing their knowledge and developing habits of learning. FIRST LEGO League’s three divisions inspire youth to experiment and grow their critical thinking, coding and design skills through hands-on STEM learning and robotics:
- FIRST LEGO League Discover - PreK- Grade 1:
For children ages 4-6, this playful introductory STEM program ignites their natural curiosity and builds their habits of learning with hands-on activities in the classroom and at home using LEGO® Duplo bricks.
»Discover: How does it work?
- FIRST LEGO League Explore - Grades 2-4:
In Explore, teams of students ages 6-10 focus on the fundamentals of engineering as they explore real-world problems, learn to design and code and create unique solutions made with LEGO bricks and powered by LEGO Education WeDo 2.0.
»Explore: How does it work?
- FIRST LEGO League Challenge - Grades 4-8:
Friendly competition is at the heart of Challenge, as teams of students ages 9-16 engage in research, problem-solving, coding and engineering – building and programming a LEGO robot that navigates the missions of a robot game. As part of Challenge, teams also participate in a research project to identify and solve a relevant real-world problem.
»Challenge: How does it work?
»Challenge Competition Rules
Levels of Program Progression
- Explore - Expos: Late October - Early December *not a competition
- Challenge - Regional Qualifying Tournaments: Late October - Early November
- Challenge - National Championships: Early December
- Challenge & Explore - World Festival: held in the USA every April, following the Australian National Championships *invite only
- Challenge - Open Championships (International): off-season events, Australian teams qualify at the national level for invitations
*There are no events for FIRST LEGO League Discover. This program is a home, school or community based activity only.
- Join FIRST Australia Email List
- How to Start a Team
- Register A Team
(Australian Teams Only)
- Order "Practice" Kits/Sets
- Build An FLL Challenge "Table"
- Challenge Help Desk - Australia
Supported by Project Bucephalus
- Jack's Judgements
A listing of official Challenge robot game rulings by Australia's Head Referee.
- FaceBook Groups:
Explore & Discover
- Official YouTube Channels:
- Official FIRST Forums
Public FIRST LEGO League resources via FIRST Inspires:
- Challenge Australia Curriculum Guide
- Explore Australia Curriculum Mapping Guide (formerly FLL Junior)
- FIRST Impact & Longitudinal Studies
- FIRST Consent and Release Form
*Mandatory form for all FIRST participants.
- MQU Consent Child (FIRST Robotics Release and Photo Consent)
- MQU Consent Adult (FIRST Robotics Release and Photo Consent)
Australian LEGO® Education retailers for
LEGO® SPIKE Prime, WeDo & STEAM Park:
National Partner Engagement
- Western Australia (Curtin University)
FIRST Australia do not have any replacement Dual Lock , mats or LEGO bits. If a kit is missing any bits or parts, Australian teams should do one of the following:
1) Contact LEGO Customer Service (CS) missing parts phone number at 1800 823 757
– OR –
- Select “Broken Bricks” or “Missing Bricks”
- Enter your age and country.
- Enter 45813 as the Set Number.
- Enter Part Details. NOTE: Dual Lock is not available as a particular piece number. You’ll have to click “I can’t find what I’m looking for” or “Email Us” to indicate the situation to LEGO support.
- LEGO CS has a warehouse with 24/7 service and promise to deliver missing elements in no more than 5 working days from when the “order” is recorded by LEGO CS.