FULL SPEED AHEAD
2021-2022 season registration is now open for all FIRST® programs.
Project-based, hands-on FIRST programs introduce students to engineering and coding in an engaging, inclusive, and creative classroom or after-school learning environment where students work collaboratively to solve an annual robotics challenge. Boosted by a million-strong global community of students, mentors, educators, volunteers, sponsors, and alumni in 110 countries, our PreK-12 programs are designed to inspire innovation and help young people build a better future.
2021 Community Bulletin
FIRST Tech Challenge 2021 - 22
FREIGHT FRENZYSM presented by Raytheon Technologies registration for Australian teams now available in the FIRST Australia Dashboard.
*Please see further details on this page - look for the FIRST Tech Challenge logo.
FIRST LEGO League 2021 - 22
CARGO CONNECTSM season registration continues to be available via the FIRST Australia Dashboard. Pre-registration ended 10 April 2021; however, teams may still register on a limited "first come, first served basis" until supplies are exhausted (please see FAQ's for team/kit quantity limitations).
2021 FIRST LEGO League Community Conference (June)
If you missed the 5 hour conference, you can access it on YouTube here: https://youtu.be/A9i30_COkkE
2021 Cargo Connect Challenge Grants
Through the generosity of The Walt Disney Company Australia, we are pleased to announce a limited number of Cargo Connect team registration grants. These are available to schools or organisations that meet certain criteria, including never having participated in Challenge. Information and application here: https://firstaustralia.org/get-involved/grant-applications/
Frequently asked questions?
- Scroll to the bottom the page.
- Don't see your question? Contact email@example.com
What do you need to get started?
- School, Organisation or Business ABN (if applicable)
- Credit/Debit Card or Purchase Order to complete team registration (Purchase Order Details)
- Shipping Address & Contact Details
- Billing Address & Contact Details
- Coach Details & Contact Information
- Name of Each Team (if you do not have this, it can be updated at a later date)
- Review the FAQ’s on this page.
- Read the Terms & Conditions »Access PDF
- Access the FIRST Australia Dashboard
- Create & activate your account.
- Create Team(s)
- Make sure the number of kits/sets required is correct
- Add shipping details
- Submit Payment or Upload Purchase Order
Ages 12 - 18
2021 FTC Qualifying Events are now available here: https://firstaustralia.org/events/
- All teams must register to compete in one qualifying event in order to qualify for the National Championship.
- The registration fee is $295 per team per year and covers participation in one qualifying event and the national championship, if the team qualifies.
- Seasonal game elements must be purchased separately from AndyMark USA. *See Step 3 below.
- Step One: CLICK HERE*First time teams only. If you already have a team number, skip to Step Two.
Register via the official FIRST FTC portal for a team number & to place any PITSCO orders through the FIRST Storefront.
- Step Two: CLICK HERE
Register for a qualifying event via the FIRST Australia Dashboard & pay for registration.
- Step Three: CLICK HERE *Optional; not required for participation.
Australian bulk order for seasonal game elements from AndyMark. Order deadline 15 AUGUST 2021.
AGES 14 - 18
In Australia, FIRST Robotics Competition is the only program that utilises the US/Canadian registration system (NOT the FIRST Australia dashboard). To get started, please visit FIRST Inspires for more information and to register:
- Help! I'm a new coach/mentor!
Relax! We've got you covered. Mentoring and Coaching with FIRST is a cross-program training module designed for new and prospective mentors and coaches that will allow you to develop a deeper understanding of the expectations of the role and where to find support.
- What are the limits for FIRST LEGO League registration?
*Following the April 2021 pre-registration deadline.
- Challenge: Limit up to 2 teams sharing one Challenge set per organisation or individual
- Explore and Discover: Limit 5 Inspire sets per organisation or individual
- Where can my team(s) compete?
Review event dates here: https://firstaustralia.org/events/
- Account Creation/Access?
All coaches will need to create a new account. Based on feedback from the 2020 dashboard launch, the system was overhauled with improvements including fixes to account activation and password resets.
- Why can't I choose a qualifying event for my team(s)?
Regional qualifying events and expos will be available for registration in mid-March. Partners are still organising event dates and venues.
- Regional Qualifying Events - I don't see one near me?
If there isn't an event near you and your organisation or school is keen to run an FLL Challenge regional qualifying event or Explore Expo, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, there will be "remote" (live via videoconferencing) events for teams that are rural/remote and not able to travel a great distance to attend an in-person event.
- What is the FIRST LEGO League 2021 timeline?
Pre-registration ends 10 April and regular season registration begins (registrations will continue through 1 October or when supplies are exhausted, whichever comes first). Kits are expected to arrive in Australia in mid-August and shipments to teams begin immediately. The season announcement launch will be 17 August. Teams will work on their season Innovative Project and robot game from 1 August through the end of October. Regional qualifying events will be between 26 October and 20 November. National Championships occur in the first two weeks of December.
- What is the new theme or "game" for 2021 going to be?
Transportation drives us forward, impacting economies around the world and making us all more globally interconnected. In our 2021-2022 robotics season, FIRST® FORWARDSM presented by Qualcomm, our teams have the power to reimagine a path forward and invent the future of transportation. To learn more: CLICK HERE *international, external link to FIRST Inspires content
- Engineering Notebooks, Team Meeting Guides & Thinkscape resources are not public resources. These documents will be available for download by registered teams only via the FIRST Australia Dashboard. After the season launches on 1 August, coaches may log into the FIRST Australia Dashboard to download these resources.
- Terms & Conditions (T's & C's): Available in the dashboard registration system. You must confirm that you read, understood & agree to the T’s & C’s in order to complete the registration process.
- Link to Dashboard Not Working?
Some school network firewalls block access to site. Please use an off-school network or personal device to register.
- Shipments & Season Launch?
When your kit ships for FIRST LEGO League Programs, you will see a TNT consignment posted to your Dashboard. You will also be sent an email to the address on the account. Sets/Kits will not ship until mid-August after the cargo sea shipment arrives in Australia. Season launch date for 2021 is 17 August.
- Changes to Registrations?
You may now make changes to registration via the FIRST Australia Dashboard (adding a team per the requirements, name changes, moving events). Please note changes will only be allowed up to 2 weeks prior to the event for which you are registered – this includes TEAM NAME changes. Organisers finalise details & begin printing up two weeks prior. Changes made after this deadline are not guaranteed to be active at the event.
- FRC Team?
The FIRST Australia Dashboard is for all FIRST LEGO League and FIRST Tech Challenge teams, as well as volunteer registration. FRC (FIRST Robotics Competition) teams must register via the international FIRST Inspires portal. For details, visit the (FRC) FIRST Robotics Competition (ages 14-18) program link under the “Programs” menu at the top of this page.
- My school or organisation cannot pay electronically with a credit/debit card. What should I do?
You must upload a Purchase Order (P.O.) from your school's administrator to finalise your registration. For pre-registration, this document is due by 10 April via the dashboard.
- How much is registration?
Please scroll up the page for program specific pricing.
- FLL Challenge: I've heard the EV3 is being discontinued this year; what does this mean for my team?
As was the case with NXT's, teams were still allowed to use them as long as they preferred. Now, teams can use SPIKE Prime, EV3 or NXT. The published program support materials going forward in 2022 (i.e. Team Meeting Guide and Engineering Notebook) as well as any "freebie mission programming" will be aimed at SPIKE Prime.
- Live support, every Tuesday* from 1 pm to 1:30 pm (Sydney time) via ZOOM.
- If you have any questions for FIRST Australia staff about coaching, mentoring , hosting or volunteering with FIRST LEGO League, FIRST Tech Challenge or FIRST Robotics Competition, just log on any Tuesday between 1 - 1:30 pm (Sydney Time) using the Zoom link below.
- Staff will be standing by on the Zoom, just pop in to say "hi" and ask your questions!
Questions? Contact email@example.com